My normal weekend routine typically goes like this:
- Friday night – Run and early bed
- Saturday – Early AM run, errands, cleaning, and some resting (if I’m lucky)
- Sunday – Up in the air…but usually stay home and do whatever needs getting done
This weekend has been anything but normal!
Friday night we had a late night out having dinner with my seester and D – both of whom had early morning Saturday flights to leave Arizona (seester going home and D going to CA for two weeks)!
D was super excited about her solo trip and her “big head” was growing larger and larger by the minute. I was starting to wonder how she’d fit her big girl head in the airplane but it seems to have made it in!
I don’t see anything sticking out that shouldn’t….do you?
Big firsts for my children yesterday: J got his driver’s permit in Ohio and D took her first airplane ride all alone!
After K and I were home from the airport, I did some homework and then went for my 1 mile run. After I was home K insisted I shower so we can go to lunch which ended up being at the San Tan Brewing Co…Oh Yeah!!!
From there..the afternoon gets blurry! 🙂 We did meet up with M and her family because it was M’s birthday and they were in the area. I always laugh a lot when I’m with M and we had a lovely visit!!
So here’s my thing.. I get up on the weekdays between 5:15 am and 5:30 am. On the weekend, during the summer, I have one day that I have to set the alarm and get my run on before the sun comes up too much. That said, with Saturday’s early AM trip to the airport..I didn’t want to have to set my alarm Sunday morning. I need at least one day a week that I can sleep until my body is ready to get up! I don’t think that’s too much to ask.
Additionally, my heart was not in this 10 mile run I had scheduled for myself. I’ve been running every single day since May 28th and the lack of rest days is taking a toll. I just needed a break and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with me taking a step back and saying, “I won’t do a long run this week!” So..there you have it. I gave myself permission to cancel my long run. If someone would like to come collect my “Runner’s Club Card” just let me know. But I highly doubt I’m going to get kicked out of the club because I just didn’t feel like running 10 miles on a 1/10th of a mile indoor running track. Anyone here want to blame me for that? I didn’t think so!
But the “you need to go for a run longer than a mile” voice in my head kept nagging at me. So today, after I finished my 2 hours of homework, I set out for a run. Told K I didn’t know how long I’d be or how many miles I’d do but I’d be back when I felt like it-which isn’t a very wise plan considering it’s so hot here, I normally like to tell K when he should expect me home so he can come look for me if he has to. I was going to do that thing where you run for feel and freedom and not for time or pace or mileage.
So…yeah…it’s hot out there!!!!!!!!!! There’s also a bit of humidity in the air – YUCK!!!! Here’s what I thought about along the way:
- I like that my tan line shows where my running socks start/stop on my ankle! Tan lines to be proud of.
- It feels weird not looking down at my running watch every 15 seconds. I wonder what my pace is…
- It would be okay if I just ran my usual 1 mile.
- You can do longer than 1 mile, maybe 1.5.
- C’mon, at least do a 5k.
- Who am I kidding? What crazy person runs in this heat?
- 11 minutes in and I’m already through one bottle of water. There is no flippin’ way you could run 10 miles out here in these conditions.
- If I was in a race right now, they’d have to put up black flags to warn runners. I wonder if everyone would still get the bling?!
- I’m going to finish the length of this road and then head home…this is stupid!
- Don’t drivers have anything better to stare at than me? Have they never seen a runner before?
- I’m so glad I got most of my paper done for class.
- When race season kicks up again, do I want to run a half marathon every month or every other month? How about a 10k in between half marathon months? Hmm…I gotta get all that figured out!
- I could finish this “10 mile” run at the gym….or not.
- I vote “not”!
I ran 2.03 miles in 23:21 minutes. A far cry from the scheduled 10 miles but…better than nothing! I won’t be at the top of the leader board on Daily Mile this week but that’s okay! It’s more important that I listen to my body and not burn out on this running business. After all, I have a date with a half marathon to set a PR on September 2, 2012!
Do you feel guilty when/if you deviate from a running plan?